Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Recipe & Rating: Xeres

Xeres

Source: Robert Hess

2 oz sherry (used Savory & James Amontillado)
1 dash orange bitters (used Angostura)
1 dash peach bitters (used Fee Brothers)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass(used small wine glass).


I'm wary of 1) cocktails that consist mostly of wine, and 2) cocktails whose main supporting ingredient is bitters (Pink Gin is an exception). I laughed when I first laid eyes on this recipe, but because I had some sherry lying around and I don't usually, I decided to make it. I was very surprised. The sweetness of the sherry is lightened with the dilution; the drink is actually tart. What was a fairly heavy and nutty sherry is now a light, fruity, and refreshing drink. It really isn't my kind of drink at all... I generally prefer the earthy wallop of an Old Fashioned, but this one really brings out the care-free side of me. I can't help but think of warm breezes and sunny locales when I sip this stuff. This one is an impressive sleeper.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment