Monday, February 1, 2010

Recipe & Rating: Twelve Mile Limit

This is a new segment I'll be writing on this blog called "Recipe & Rating". It will simply be the occasional plucking of a drink recipe, the making of the drink, (specifying which types/brands of ingredients I've used) and my rating of the recipe along with a few very brief comments. I'll choose recipes from any source, and the source I choose may not always be the original source, as in this first case. Let us begin!



Twelve Mile Limit

Source: Rumdood


1 oz white rum (used Appleton White)
.5 oz brandy (used Ansac VS cognac)
.5 oz rye whiskey (used Old Overholt)
.5 oz grenadine (used 1-2-3 Cocktails brand... all natural with cane sugar)
.5 oz lemon juice (fresh squeezed)

Shake and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.




The lemon is singing the lead here... perhaps the Appleton White doesn't have enough heft? The fruitiness of the brandy seems to add to the lemon. The rye, as I figured, falls behind in terms of getting attention. Overall pleasant, a fruity rum and brandy sour, mostly. A little too nondescript for me.

Rating: 5/10

4 comments:

  1. This drink worked rather well when we made it with Pritchard's. The rum has some harsh notes akin to what would've been available during prohibition. Too smooth of a white rum, and this drink would not work the same. It's edginess adds a bit to the drink.

    http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2010/01/twelve-mile-limit.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Frederic. Perhaps something closer to a Wray & Nephew Overproof, 10 Cane, or even an Agricole would do the trick?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Frederic.

    You can't take a "nice" white rum and use it here. It needs some punch to it.

    I made this with the Montanya Platino, which has some strong flavors in it. In fact that Platino utterly FAILS in a daiquiri but really works well in the 12.

    The Pritchard's is another good choice. I haven't tried it with an agricole, but I made a note in my book to try it with La Favorite, which will either be awesome or an unmitigated disaster.

    El Dorado 3 Year Old actually works well too, despite it's smoothness. It just has enough flavor to keep the lemon from dominating the drink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. Maybe I'll use up the last of my Neisson Blanc and repost my thoughts on this thing.

    ReplyDelete